Did you know that Forbes predicts the knowledge business will be a billion dollar a day industry by 2025? Far out! You see, people aren’t relying on a broken education system anymore. Instead, they are using self-education to learn skills and build their knowledge from experts in their niche. Take me, for example:
- When I needed someone who could teach my dyslexic daughter how to read because her school didn’t have a teacher who was qualified to do it, I called in a specialist: a teacher who had made it her life goal to help kids who couldn’t read.
- When I wanted to learn how to sketchnote (visual note-taking) to help my daughter with her school work, I read books and did tutorials presented online by some of the most talented sketchnoters on the planet.
- When I wanted to grow vegetables in my garden, I read blogs and watched videos on YouTube.
- When I wanted to learn about business, building a website, and marketing, I did online courses and listened to podcasts.
After it dawned on me that I could also share my knowledge (stuff I already knew) to help others, I went from not having a clue what to do with my life (even though I am in my 40s), to having so many ideas it was hard to choose which one I loved the most. Do you know how excited that made me? Very freakin’ excited!
How can you package up your experience, skills, knowledge, and interests and sell it to people who want to learn what you know? Become a content creator like me? Create courses? Become a coach? Run workshops and masterminds? Trust me, whatever skills or knowledge you have, there is someone out there who needs you to share it with them.
However, to become a credible knowledge broker, you need to cultivate and master your zone of genius. And, I want to help you. Here is how you can get started.
- Subscribe to my newsletter and receive a “Learning To Be Me” questionnaire. Look for themes in your answers to help you figure out what niche you think you’d like to focus on. I’ve included a list of 59 niches to inspire you.
- Grab a copy of the ESKI Playbook that I created to help you combine your experience, skills, knowledge, and interests into a business idea you freakin’ love.
- Commit to becoming a lifelong learner. Make self-education a priority, and have fun doing it. I use the Incited Media journal process in my notebooks and journals for self-education. I have sketchnotes of podcasts I’ve listened to, pages where I’ve brainstormed ideas for mastering my craft, lists of resources I love, photos of projects I’m working on, tips from people who inspire me, and mindmaps of my learning goals.
If you like the idea of using your journal to get you inspired and excited (incited) about your self-education, then I’ve created a few resources to help you to get started. Let’s go